Most Frequently Asked Questions About NSA-IL
How do I become a member of NSA-IL (National Speakers Association-Illinois Chapter)?
To become a member of NSA-IL, you must also qualify for and join NSA at the national level. You need to fulfill and verify one of these requirements during the 12 months prior to application:
- Earned income from a minimum of 20 fee-paid professional speaking engagements.
- Made a minimum of 20 presentations to audiences of 15 people or more as part of your salaried position.
- Earned a minimum of $25,000 in professional speaking income.
What counts as a paid presentation, and how do I document them?
A paid presentation is one where a fee has been received. Compensation for travel, hotel stay, etc. is not accepted as a form of payment. Product sales also do not qualify as a fee. You must receive a monetary payment.
- Tax documents, testimonial letters, check stubs, or items of that nature will suffice to confirm your speaking engagements.
- If it is in your job description to speak that would qualify you for membership. Documentation, however, is requested. A letter from your supervisor or a job description is acceptable.
Do speakers who present as part of their salaried positions qualify for membership?
- Speakers who make a minimum of 20 presentations annually to audiences of 15 people or more as part of their salaried positions qualify.
- Speakers who contract with seminar companies, corporate trainers, college-level or full-time adjunct faculty members and teachers who speak outside the classroom for a monetary fee all meet the speaking criteria detailed above.
- Teaching a college-level, lecture-based class can satisfy membership requirements if a copy of the contract with the institution of employment, a copy of the curriculum and /or adequate documentation of class size and number of presentations are provided with the membership application.
If I qualify, how much does it cost to be an NSA/NSA-IL member?The NSA National dues are $600 initially, and $425 per year to renew. The NSA-IL chapter dues are $240 and renewable annually on July 1. You will be sent an annual membership renewal notice a month before your annual membership fee is due.
What are the benefits of joining NSA-IL?Ask any NSA-IL member! Fantastic educational opportunities, networking and relationship building at the local level are of monumental importance when building a successful speaking business. Membership will help you learn how to grow your business, give you a platform to discuss issues that impact your business and help you to create affiliations with associations and other organizations that will help you expand even more. Each year the NSA-IL board works to add new benefits for its membership. Click for a list of member benefits.
How do I join NSA (National Speakers Association)?
- Fulfill one of the requirements listed in the first paragraph, upper left.
- Submit verification documentation for speaking engagements.
- Sign a professional code of ethics.
- Submit one recent color glossy photo.
- Send your completed membership application to NSA headquarters.
- For more information, visit www.nsaspeaker.org.